Events & Programs
Find a Good Book
Box O' Books
Box O' Books is the library’s book service for daycare, preschool and child care providers. Learn more.
The library's own "Mother Goose" is available for special story times at daycare, preschool, and child care centers. Mrs. Goose includes storytelling, finger plays and some puppetry in her story time sessions. If your group would like to have "Mother Goose" visit, please contact Public Services Manager Dawn Sowers at (540) 422-8517.
In the Spotlight
Mark Your Calendars: December programs for all ages
Homework Help: Find the best books and online resources for completing homework assignments.
For a complete list of resources for school/homework, see Articles & Databases
Fun & Games
- ABCya.com - Grade level lessons incorporate areas such as math and language arts while introducing basic computer skills
- Cookie - Learning games for preschoolers and kids designed by child experts and educators
- FunBrain Moms and Kids Playground - Games to help children practice mouse skills, part of the Family Education Network
- Nick Jr. - Aimed at preschoolers, games star popular characters from the Nickelodeon network
- PBS Kids - Games, activities and printables from favorite PBS Kids television shows
- Reading is Fundamental (RIF) Game Station - Games and activities for practicing reading and writing skills
- Scholastic.com - Writing games, quizzes and polls, puzzle and arcade games from the children's book publisher
- Sesame Street Games - Browse by theme or character; perfect for the younger child
- Sprout - Games and videos starring characters from shows such as Wiggles, Barney, and Thomas the Tank Engine, geared to ages 2-5
- Starfall.com - Educational site offering games that encourage reading, primarily designed for preK-2nd grade children
- TumbleBooks - Animated, talking picture books