Voter Identification Requirements
New voter identification requirements took effect in Virginia on July 1, 2014.
When voting at the polling place on election day or voting in-person absentee at the Registrar’s Office, you will need to provide an acceptable form of photo identification (photo ID) in order to vote. Additional information about voter identification requirements is available on the Virginia Department of Elections website.
Acceptable Forms of Voter Photo Identification:
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License or Identification Card;
- Valid Virginia DMV issued Veteran’s ID card;
- Valid United States of America Passport;
- Valid Employee photo identification card;
- Other government-issued photo identification cards (must be issued by U.S. Government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, or a political subdivision of the Commonwealth;
- Valid college or university student photo identification card (must be from an institution of higher education located in Virginia);
- Employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer’s business; or a
- Virginia Voter Photo ID Card obtained through the General Registrar’s office.
Voters requesting to vote an absentee ballot by mail can find information on the Virginia Department of Elections website about what identification requirements they must satisfy, if any.
Voters that do not have an acceptable form of photo ID for voting, and are in need of one, can come to the General Registrar’s Office and have a free photo ID made that will be valid for voting purposes only.
Voters who do not have one of the acceptable forms of identification when voting can vote a provisional ballot. No ID provisional ballot voters will have no later than noon on the Friday following the election to deliver a copy of an acceptable form of identification to the local Electoral Board. If the Electoral Board does not receive a copy of an acceptable form of identification before the noon on Friday deadline, the ballot cannot be counted.
County of Fauquier
Electoral Board & General Registrar
32 Waterloo Street, Suite 207
Warrenton, VA 20186-3238
Normal Hours of Operation: 8:00AM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday (excepting holidays and certain deadline dates)
Date Last Modified: 07/02/2014