Emergency Communications Specialists (ECS) are the first contact between the public in need of assistance, and the public safety first responders. The actions and quick thinking of our ECSs can have a positive impact on a serious situation. This position is a critical link in Fauquier County’s public safety system. Employment as an ECS provides the opportunity to assist citizens when they are faced with situations that require fire, police or EMS responses. This fascinating career field requires a person who can take fragmentary information, assess the needs and dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment within seconds in response to a request for service or assistance. Being a part of our team will allow you to be an important part of the public safety team, save lives, protect property, and have a positive impact on the community.
We Will Train You
The Communications Division will provide a three week in house training academy, followed by 1-3 months On the Job Training with an assigned Communications Training Officer (CTO). The department of Criminal Justice Services mandates newly hired employees attend Basic Dispatcher School. This school is normally held at the Rappahannock Regional Criminal Justice Academy, either at the main campus in Fredricksburg, or at the satellite campus in Middletown, Va. And will be completed during your probationary year. You will be paid during attendance at these classes, however it is up to you to successfully complete each class. County requirements for certifications in CPR, Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) and Emergency Medical Dispatch are provided for you. We provide on the job training to give you the working knowledge required to perform the duties of an Emergency Communications Specialist.
- High school graduate or GED.
- 18 years of age by hiring date.
- Typing proficiency of 35 words per minute.
- Submit to and pass an extensive background investigation including polygraph.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Pass pre-employment test that includes position-compatibility profile, multi-tasking and problem solving ability testing (may only be taken twice in a calendar year.)
- Vision abilities required including close vision and ability to adjust focus, ability to hear and readily relay information accurately.
- Have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Have the ability to make independent decisions in a quick and decisive manner to operate effectively under pressure.
- Have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Leave
- Optional Medical and Dental coverage plans
- Retirement under the Virginia Retirement System
- Paid Life Insurance coverage
Available positions within the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office Communications Division are handled through the Fauquier County Human Resources Department located at 320 Hospital Drive, Suite 34, Warrenton, Virginia 20186
540-422-8300 FAX: 540-422-8315
Date Last Modified: 09/27/2010