PURPOSE:The Fauquier County Disability Services Board (FCDSB) was created in 1993 by Resolution of the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors in response to the enactment of the 1992 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In early 2009, the FCDSB was redefined, clarifying its mission and purpose, allowing it to better represent persons with disabilities. Additionally, the FCDSB:
• Provides information and resource referral to citizens and local governments regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act.
• Advises the elective bodies of Fauquier County regarding issues of importance to persons with physical and sensory disabilities.
• Reviews construction plans of new facilities and major renovations to ensure the projects are ADA compliant for the County government and School Division.
• Informs and educates the community about issues, barriers, and options, to ensure that persons with physical and sensory disabilities can participate to the fullest extent possible.
• Raises public awareness and advises long-range county and state planning agencies about the needs of area residents who have physical and/or sensory disabilities.
• Serves as a reference for county residents with disabilities; creates support linkages between services for the disabled and residents that might find these services beneficial.
• Encourages and supports communication among service providers to improve the coordination and the availability of services for persons with disabilities.
• Recognizes outstanding efforts by individuals and businesses to accommodate and promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in the community.
• Exchanges information with other County organizations and State DSBs regarding services to persons with physical and sensory disabilities and the best practices in the delivery of services.
MEETINGS:We invite people who have disabilities to contact the DSB with comments, suggestions, and other information concerning disability rights. Meetings are open to the public and are scheduled to meet quarterly on Tuesday mornings at 8:30 A.M. at the Warren Green Building, 2nd Floor Conference Room, 10 Hotel Street, Warrenton, VA. (All meeting dates and times should be confirmed prior to attendance.)
Links:Click here for Disability-related websites
NOTE:The Board of Supervisors is seeking dedicated and qualified Fauquier County citizens to fill committee vacancies. In order to obtain information concerning vacancies, please contact the Board of Supervisors, or the County Administration offices. To be considered for an appointment to a committee, please fill out this Application for Appointment to Committee and send it to the Board of Supervisors Office, 10 Hotel Street, Suite 208, Warrenton, VA 20186.
Public Meetings Calendar
Committee Term: 3 years