Monroe Park is located at the corner of Hwy. 17 and Rock Run Road (Rt. 615) in Goldvein on a 14 acre lot donated by Pat and Thelma Monroe.
Monroe Park features:
- the Gold Mining Camp Museum, including the gold and gem mining sluice
- ADA accessible playground
- football/soccer field
- baseball/softball diamond
- horseshoe pits
- beach volleyball court
- quarter-mile paved ADA accessible trail that loops around the open space passing the playground, baseball field, and picnic shelter. Children will get a kick out of the quaint bridge.
- Prospector Pavilion, which can be reserved (see below).
PARK RULES: click here.
THE GOLD PANNING DEMONSTRATION AREA IS NOW OPEN.
Free gold panning demonstrations are held Wednesday through Sunday at 2 pm with an additional session at 10 am on Saturday. Bags of mining rough with either gold or gems, minerals, or fossils, along with basic prospecting equipment, are available for purchase in the Mess Hall of the Gold Mining Camp Museum.
Perfect for a family reunion, birthday party, church social, sports team party, or any other type of get-together.
• Picnic tables for up to 60 people
• a large charcoal grill
• $71 for a half day (7:00am-2:00pm or 2:30pm-dusk) or
• $106 for a full day (7 am-dusk)
• All fees and completed forms, including permit applications, must be turned in to hold the pavilion for a specific date and time. Click here for any forms.
• The shelter does not have electricity, and alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
Friends of Monroe Park:
The Friends of Monroe Park (FOMP) was created 18 years ago to support the efforts of the Fauquier County Government and Fauquier County Parks and Recreation in building and developing Monroe Park. Initially, FOMP raised over $10,000 to go towards the construction of the park and to this day continues fundraising to promote the development of additional park facilities. FOMP currently co-sponsors two annual events at the Park - the Goldvein Jubilee in September and the Spring Egg Hunt. The proceeds from the last 10 Jubilees were used to purchase the gold panning and gem mining sluice now at the Gold Mining Camp Museum.
Friends of Monroe Park Meeting: The next Friends of Monroe Park meeting date is still to be determined. The public is invited to attend the next meeting to bring any questions, concerns and suggestions for the park. Anyone interested in joining FOMP and/or helping out at the various events during the year is encouraged to attend this meeting. For more information, call the Monroe Park office.
The Friends of Monroe Park Goldvein Jubilee will be held on September 16, 2017 from 11 am to 4 pm.
Northern Virginia Gold Prospectors
An association of prospectors from northern Virginia, the club meets at the park the first Saturday of month, April to October. The meetings are open to the public; just bring an interest in prospecting. The NVGP has long been a big supporter of the park and at the Goldvein Jubilee they run a gold panning booth and donate all the proceeds to the park. For more information about the club, contact the Monroe Park office.
Volunteers are needed at Monroe Park for a variety of challenging and exciting duties. Opportunities to help out your neighborhood park include: landscaping, historical research, interpretive signage development, grant writing opportunities, and web page development to name a few. Local high school students are also encouraged to volunteer at Monroe Park to earn "C.I.V." hours. For more information, please call the park office during office hours.