All Appraisers have county identification badges and their vehicles display reassessment placards. Appraisers are in the field between 8 am and 5:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Every four years, a general real estate reassessment is conducted in accordance with Section 58.1-3252 of the Code of Virginia. An appraisal firm (County approved) is contracted to reappraise every parcel at its fair market value, which is based upon a sales study completed by the appraisal company. These assessments are effective for four years unless a change is made such as boundary adjustment, division of property, change in zoning, court orders, and new construction.
- Field work started in August
- Field work continuation
- Reassessment Notice mailing in October
- Informal Hearing scheduling from mid-October to early November
- Informal Hearings from late October through early December
- Informal Hearing Results mailing in late December
- Reassessment completion by December 31
- Final Reassessment values effective January 1, 2018
- Field work for fall/winter 2017 new construction though January
- Board of Equalization Court appointment by in January/February
- Commissioner of the Revenue Change in Assessment Notices Mailing in March for properties in easement and land use, and for fall/winter 2017 new construction
- Board of Supervisors tax rate setting in late March/early April
- Board of Equalization Appeal Hearings from May through early August