Firearm Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

ATF Firearms Record Form 


Concealed Handgun Permit


Related Links



A revised application to carry a concealed handgun will be in effect starting July 1, 2016.  Only the revised SP-248 (7-1-2016) form can be used as of July 1, 2016. Applications received in the clerk’s office before July 1, 2016, must be on the SP-248 (7-1-2013) form.    
The revised application will be posted on the State Police website on July 1, 2016, and can be downloaded and printed by you or the circuit court staff.  The website may be accessed at the following address:




Where can I find information about resident concealed handgun permits?


How do I apply for a concealed handgun permit?

Submit the following by mail or in person to the Fauquier County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office:

  • Completed SP-248 application for concealed handgun permit sworn to before the Circuit Court Clerk, a Circuit Court Deputy Clerk or Notary Public.   There is always someone in the clerk’s office who can take the sworn statement during office hours.
  • Proof of handgun competency.
  • Check or money order in the amount of $50 payable to Fauquier County Circuit Court Clerk.
  • Self-addressed envelope for use in mailing your permit.


Is the process different for renewals?

  • The process is the same except you do not need to provide proof of handgun competency
  • We request that you attach a copy of your current permit to your renewal application


Where do I send or deliver my application, proof of competency, fees and envelope?

  • By mail:  Fauquier County Circuit Court Clerk, Attention: Civil Division, 29 Ashby Street, Warrenton, VA 20186
  • In person:  Fauquier Circuit Courthouse, Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, 29 Ashby Street, Warrenton, VA 20186 between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday  


Where can I obtain a SP-248 application for concealed handgun permit?

  • Virginia State Police website - Concealed Handgun Permit Application
  • Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, Circuit Courthouse, 29 Ashby Street, Warrenton, VA 20186 between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday


How can I demonstrate handgun competency?

Requirements can be found in Virginia Code Section §18.2-308.02 and the Virginia State Police - Concealed Handgun Permit website.


Do you have any pointers for completing the application?

  • The application posted on the State Police’s website has red and black lettering.  Make sure your printer prints red lettering.  Black and white is acceptable, but the clerk’s office cannot accept a partially printed application that omits wording.
  • Do not leave any blanks.
  • Question 4: State your height in feet and inches before listing your weight
  • Question 6: State the City, State and Nation of your birth, plus your Country of Citizenship.
  • Make sure the notary completes the notary’s certification with state and county information and notary seal.


What happens after I submit the application for a concealed handgun permit?

  • The clerk’s office processes the application and fee.
  • Sheriff’s office conducts a criminal background check and sends the results to the clerk’s office.
  • The court or clerk’s office has 45 days to act on your application.
  • The permit or notice of denial is mailed to you in the envelope submitted with your application or to the mailing address shown on the application.
  • The Virginia State Police are notified when the permit is issued .


If my application is denied, can I appeal?

The clerk’s office will provide notice in writing upon denial of the application of your right to a court hearing and the requirements for perfecting an appeal.  Information on appeals can be found in Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.08


Important notice to persons convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence

The right to possess, ship, transport or receive any firearm or ammunition by a person convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence is limited by federal law.   18 U.S C. § 922(g)(9)  More information may be found by consulting the Federal Code or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive web pages at