A Ordinance AMENDING Section 13-51 of the Code of Fauquier County to PROVIDE certain Additional ExeCEPTIONS to the Requirement to Pay a Local License Registration Fee
WHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors of Fauquier County adopted an Ordinance pursuant to Title 46.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, for the administration of county vehicle license fees under Chapter 13, Article IV, sections 13-51 et.seq.; and
WHEREAS, Section 13-51 provides that officers of the state police are eligible to receive an exception to the registration fee on one vehicle if the officer is a resident of the county and is employed in the county; and
WHEREAS, it is the intent of the Board of Supervisors to expand that exception to include those officers of the state police who are residents of the county but may be assigned outside the county; and
WHEREAS, after due notice and public hearing, the Board of Supervisors has determined that this change is for the benefit of the citizens of Fauquier County; now, therefore, be it
ORDAINED by the Board of Supervisors of Fauquier County this 12th day of March 2009, That effective January 1, 2009 Chapter 13, Article IV, Section 13-51 of the Fauquier County Code be, and is hereby, amended as follows:
Sec. 13-51. License registration fee required; exceptions.
The county hereby levies and assesses a license registration fee on every motor vehicle, including, but not limited to, automobiles and trucks having a situs pursuant to § 58.1-3511, Code of Virginia, except:
(1) Vehicles used by an active member of volunteer fire and rescue companies of the county or an active member of the sheriff's auxiliary deputy program, provided, however, that active members of any volunteer fire and rescue companies shall provide to the treasurer at the time of declaration of personal property a written certification by the chief of the volunteer company that said applicant is an active member, and is a member whose name appears in the book of "Volunteer Fire Fighters" kept by the clerk of the circuit court, and provided further that any auxiliary deputy shall provide a certificate from the sheriff stating that the auxiliary deputy is an active volunteer in the sheriff's auxiliary deputy program. However, the exception shall apply to no more than one (1) vehicle.
(2) Vehicles owned or leased by a person who is sixty-five (65) years of age or older shall be entitled to a fifty (50) percent reduction in the license registration fee assessed on that vehicle, provided that no such discount shall be available for more than one (1) vehicle owned or leased by the same person.
(3) Vehicles owned by former members of volunteer rescue squads and former members of volunteer fire departments having at least ten (10) years of service in the county. However, the exception shall apply to no more than one (1) vehicle.
(4) Vehicles owned or leased by deputy sheriffs, municipal police
(5) Vehicles owned or leased by officers of the Virginia State Police upon written certification by the chief executive officer or presentation of state police identification if assigned outside of the county. However, the exception shall apply to no more than one (1) vehicle.
A Copy Teste
Paul S. McCulla