A ZONING ORDINANCE TEXT AMENDMENT TO SECTIONS 3-306, 15-300, AND 5-607 TO ADD “TRANSITIONAL FAMILY HOUSING” AS A NEW USE, WITH DEFINITION AND STANDARDS
WHEREAS, on January 26, 2006, the Planning Commission initiated this text amendment; and
WHEREAS, on February 16, 2006, the Planning Commission held a public hearing on this issue and forwarded the proposed text amendment to the Board of Supervisors recommending its adoption; and
WHEREAS, on April 13, 2006, the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors held a public hearing on this amendment; and
WHEREAS, the adoption of this text amendment would be in the spirit of the Zoning Ordinance, consistent with public convenience, general welfare, and good zoning practices, consistent with the adopted Comprehensive Plan, and is in the best interest of the citizens of Fauquier County; now, therefore, be it
ORDAINED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 13th day of April 2006, That Sections 3-306, 15-300, and 5-607 of the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance be, and are hereby, amended as follows:
1. Add use to Use Table in Section 3-300:
2. Add Standards for Transitional Family Housing to Section 5-600:
5-607 Additional Standards for Transitional Family Housing
1. This use shall only be permitted when located on the same site as a place of worship and as an accessory use to the main sanctuary.
2. Minimum site area shall be 20 acres.
3. No more than 15 rooms and no more than 20 people shall be housed at the facility at any one time.
4. Residents of the facility shall be primarily families, shall be limited to no more than a eighteen month stay, and shall be required to participate in a structured program or classes designed to facilitate independent living.
5. Facilities shall be located within service districts or must have approval for adequate septic and well requirements by the Health Department.
6. At least one parking space shall be provided per family, and such parking shall be screened from view from adjoining properties. Where possible, the parking spaces for the sanctuary shall be utilized to meet this requirement in order to avoid additional paving on the site.
7. Usable outdoor play space shall be provided for residents and screened from adjoining properties. The amount and location of the necessary open space shall be determined in conjunction with the permit approval.
8. The building containing transitional housing shall be set back a minimum of 100’ from the side and rear property lines.
3. Add definition for Transitional Family Housing to Section 15-300:
Transitional Family Housing Facility
A building where families who may or may not have access to traditional or permanent housing but who are capable of living independently within a reasonable period of time, generally about 18 months, reside on a 24-hour-per day basis for at least 30 days and participate in appropriate program activities designed to facilitate independent living.