A ZONING ORDINANCE TEXT AMENDMENT TO SECTION 3-318 TO ALLOW PETTING ZOOS BY SPECIAL USE PERMIT OR SPECIAL EXCEPTION IN R-A DISTRICTS, TO ADD NEW SECTION 5-1814 SETTING STANDARDS FOR PETTING ZOOS, AND TO AMEND SECTION 15-300 ADDING A DEFINITION OF PETTING ZOOS
WHEREAS, Fauquier County has an objective to encourage appropriate business in Agricultural Districts; and
WHEREAS, allowing petting zoos on parcels of land over twenty acres is consistent with that objective; and
WHEREAS, that objective is also consistent with stated objectives and recommendations within the adopted Comprehensive Plan; and
WHEREAS, on April 14, 2005, the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors held a public hearing on this amendment; and
WHEREAS, the adoption of this text amendment would be in the spirit of the Zoning Ordinance, consistent with the adopted Comprehensive Plan, and is in the best interest of the citizens of Fauquier County; now, therefore, be it
ORDAINED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 14th day of April 2005, That Sections 3-318, 5-1814, and 5-300 of the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance be, and are hereby, amended as follows:
5-1814 Additional Standards for Petting Zoos in the R-A District
1. Petting zoos shall only be allowed as an accessory use to an agricultural use. As such, the petting zoo must be subordinate in purpose, area, and extent of the agricultural use and the income from the accessory use shall not exceed 25% of the income derived from the entire property.
2. Not more than one animal unit per two acres shall be allowed on the property.
3. The minimum lot size shall be 20 acres.
4. All structures, including holding and display areas, shall be located a minimum of 100 feet from any property line.
5. Parking areas shall be located 50 feet from adjoining Rural or Residential Districts and shall be screened from adjoining properties.
6. Petting zoos shall not be open to the public before 9:00 a.m. or after thirty minutes before sunset.
7. Any retail sales shall be accessory and incidental to the permitted activity. Retail structures shall not exceed a total of 600 square feet in area.
8. All such uses shall be subject to and operated in compliance with all other applicable Federal and State regulations.
9. Petting zoos shall have direct access to a road designated as a major collector (or higher) in the Comprehensive Plan unless the Board of Zoning Appeals finds that the type and amount of traffic generated by the facility is such that it will not cause an undue impact on the neighbors or adversely affect safety of road usage.
10. The property is limited to one dwelling unit for the owner or caretaker which shall only be allowed if a residence could otherwise lawfully be constructed on the property.
11. The property shall be managed according to a controlled grazing plan adequate to maintain grasses and legumes for grazing and to minimize erosion. Such plan must accompany any application for a Special Use Permit. Thereafter, the current plan shall be made available to the Zoning Administrator upon request.
12. Outdoor amplified music and sound is prohibited.
13. Special Events are subject to Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance Section 3-309(16).