Marriott Ranch: A Resolution to approve a Category 9 Special Exception (SPEX08-MA-013) to operate a hunting preserve and a Category 9 Special Permit (SPPT08-MA-032) for clay target shooting and a firing range
WHEREAS, Marriott Westfields Conference Center, Inc., Marriott Ranch, owner and applicant, is seeking a Category 9 Special Exception to operate a hunting preserve and a Category 9 Special Permit for clay target shooting and a firing range on PINs 6908-83-3361-000, 6919-15-9657-000, 6917-47-0965-000 & 6918-55-8536-000; and
WHEREAS, on April 24, 2008, the Fauquier County Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed Special Exception and Special Permit and recommended approval of the applications, subject to conditions; and
WHEREAS, on May 8, 2008, the Board of Supervisors conducted a public hearing and considered written and oral testimony; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors has determined that the applications satisfies the standards of Zoning Ordinance Articles 5-006 and 5-900; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 8th day of May 2008, That SPEX08-MA-013 and SPPT08-MA-032 be, and are hereby, approved, subject to the following conditions:
1. The Special Exception and Special Permit are granted for and run with the land indicated in this application and are not transferable to other land.
2. This Special Exception and Special Permit are granted only for the purpose(s), and/or uses indicated on the Special Exception/Special Permit Plat received in the Planning Office on February 19, 2008 and approved with the application, as qualified by these development conditions.
3. The development of the property shall be in general conformance with the Special Exception Plat received in the Planning Office on February 19, 2008.
4. A Site Plan shall be required, pursuant to Article 12 of the Zoning Ordinance.
5. The Special Exception and Special Permit shall be granted until June 2010.
6. The facility shall operate in accordance with all applicable state and local regulations.
7. The hunting preserve shall be limited to bird hunting and the use of shotguns with birdshot.
8. The hunting preserve shall operate September 1 through April 30; and may operate daily between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., but not on Sunday.
9. A 100-yard buffer zone, for safety, shall be provided and maintained around the perimeter of the designated hunting preserve area. Only Marriott Ranch employees or agents (without guns) shall be permitted to enter the safety zone to retrieve downed game.
10. Commercial hunting for grown or stocked game outside the designated preserve area is prohibited.
11. The border between the preserve and the 100-yard buffer area shall be adequately designated and posted with brightly colored signs to indicate the area is a hunting preserve/no trespassing.
12. No hunting is allowed within 100 yards of a property line.
13. No structure used for or in conjunction with the use shall be located closer than 100 feet to any lot line.
14. All hunters shall be accompanied by Marriott Ranch employees or agents.
15. No lead shot shall be used in any FEMA 100-year floodplain.
16. The entrance shall meet minimum sight distance and entrance requirements in accordance with the VDOT Minimum Standard of Entrances to State Highways.
17. The applicant shall submit, to the Zoning Administrator, its permit with Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries for release of non-native game for its hunting preserve.
18. Birds released in the hunting preserve that are prepared for human consumption on Marriott Ranch shall meet Virginia Department of Health standards and be "pen raised" birds obtained from an approved source which is inspected and certified by the USDA or Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The applicant shall be responsible for collecting and maintaining copies of any applicable health records and/or facility certifications.
19. Birds hunted on the property may be served to the individuals participating in the hunting program but shall not be served to the general public for consumption.
20. Clay target shooting may occur any month during the year but shall not be allowed on Sunday.
21. The location for clay target shooting shall be located in the open field behind the James Marshall manor house, near the arena (northern end).
22. The firing range shall be used for commercial purposes (guests of Marriott Ranch) for citing of weapons immediately prior to and during deer hunting season.