WHEREAS, Fauquier County has a variety of issues and interests which require legislative action by the Virginia General Assembly; and
WHEREAS, the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) has requested submission of such legislative proposals for consideration in the 2006 VACo Legislative Program; and
WHEREAS, from time to time the Board of Supervisors may revise its
Legislative Program to include additional legislative priorities and
issues; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 14th day of July 2005, That the Board of Supervisors’ 2006 Legislative Program be, and is hereby, adopted as follows:
· Adequate Public Facilities - Fauquier County supports Adequate Public Facilities legislation, which would permit high growth localities, as part of their subdivision or zoning ordinance, to determine whether public facilities are adequate to support the services which will be required by the proposed subdivision or rezoning.
· Impact Fees - Fauquier County continues to support legislation that would allow localities the option to assess impact fees for School Construction and other essential government services in lieu of voluntary cash proffers.
· School Funding - Fauquier County supports the continued full funding of the State’s share of the Standards of Quality, full funding of any categorical educational mandate, including pay raises, and full funding of the State’s portion of the Standards of Learning relating to instructional technology. Fauquier County also supports increased funding for School Construction.
· Northern Virginia Differential - Fauquier County respectfully requests those State legislators representing Fauquier County introduce legislation to incorporate Fauquier County into the Northern Virginia Differential Funding Formula.
· Local Revenue Authority - Fauquier County opposes any measure that would eliminate or reduce any local government revenue authority.
· Local Government Zoning and Land Use Authority - Fauquier County opposes any further dilution of the zoning and land use regulatory authority of local governments.
· Increased Local Authority - Fauquier County supports legislation to provide for increased local authority in planning, zoning and revenue matters through a statutory relaxation of the Dillon Rule. However, the relaxation of the Dillon Rule should not be accompanied by a shift of responsibility for various programs from the State government to local government.
· Purchase of Development Rights - Fauquier County supports increased State funding for the purchase of conservation easements and other land conservation needs, including funding through the Virginia Agricultural Vitality Program.
· Land Use Taxation - Fauquier County supports legislation that would lengthen the Use Value Taxation roll-back period to at least ten years.
· Water Resources Planning - Fauquier County supports a comprehensive study of the Commonwealth’s surface and groundwater resources.
· Full funding of the state aid formula for public libraries, and increased funding of the state library technology plan.
· Support legislation that increases VDOT funding levels for revenue sharing regarding improvements to state primary and secondary roads.