COUNTY OF FAUQUIER
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
JUNE 17, 2002
SUBJECT: 12th Addition to the Springs Valley Agricultural and Forestal District
EXPIRATION DATE OF DISTRICT: January 10, 2003
APPLICANTS: Sharon Maloney
PARCEL ID#: 6972-34-4551-000 54.483 acres
LOCATION: The subject parcel is located on the south side of Route 681, Pope’s Ridge Road, and is known as lot 4 of Pope’s Camp Subdivision
CURRENT ZONING: RA (Rural Agriculture)
SURROUNDING ZONING: North: RA
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Marshall
STAFF PLANNER: Holly Meade
The Springs Valley Agricultural and Forestal District was originally created in 1980 and was renewed by the Board of Supervisors effective January 10, 1995, for an eight (8) year period, expiring on January 10, 2003. The District currently consists of 86 parcels and totals approximately 5,425.35 acres.
The applicants have requested the addition of 54.483 acres to be added to the District. Copies of the application and parcel map are included in your package.
Section 15.2-4307 of the Code of Virginia allows adjoining property owners of qualifying land to join and application any time prior to the Board of Supervisors public hearing. The Maloney property has been added to this request.
The application states this parcel is part of a full-time working farm, with corn and forestry.
Review of the parcel indicates the site is fully wooded with gently rolling terrain. The majority of the soils types consist of secondary cropland with a moderately high forestry potential. The subject property was discovered to have the following soil types:
· 10A – Very deep, somewhat poorly drained, yellowish brown loamy soils with high water tables in concave landscapes, along small drainage ways and on alluvial fans
· 15B – Very deep, moderately well drained, yellowish-brown loamy soils with intermittent high water tables in concave swales and along small drainage ways
· 55C – Very deep, well drained, micaceous, dark red clayey soils on undulating summits and strongly sloping back slopes
· 55C3 – The application states these parcels are used for hay and pasture, and are a part-time owner operated farm.
PLANNING COMMISSION AND AGRICULTURAL AND FORESTAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION:
The Maloney application was received after the Agricultural and Forestal Advisory Committee meeting. The Planning Commission voted to recommend approval for the following reasons:
· Review of the natural features of this parcel indicates that there are significant resources which are worthy of protection and would enhance the District, and
· The parcel meets the criteria for evaluating the factors for inclusion into the District as required by Section 15.2-4306 of the Code of Virginia, and
The parcel meets the County requirements for inclusion into
the District since it consists of a full-time working farm.
In addition, the Planning Commission recommends approval with the following condition:
· If any of the 54.483-acre parcel is subdivided or boundary adjusted to below 25 acres, then the parcel shall be removed from the District.