A RESOLUTION ESTABLISHING THE PERCENTAGE ALLOCATION OF THE FIXED AMOUNT OF STATE PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX RELIEF ON QUALIFYING VEHICLES
WHEREAS, the Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998, Va. Code §§ 58.1-3523 et seq. (“PPTRA”), was substantially modified by the enactment of Chapter 1 of the Acts of Assembly, 2004 Special Session I (Senate Bill 5005), and the provisions of Item 503 of Chapter 951 of the 2005 Acts of Assembly (the 2005 revisions to the 2004-06 Appropriations Act, hereinafter cited as the “2005 Appropriations Act”); and
WHEREAS, these legislative enactments require the County of Fauquier to take affirmative steps to implement these changes, and to provide for the computation and allocation of relief provided pursuant to the Personal Property Tax Relief Act as revised; and
WHEREAS, these legislative enactments provide for the appropriation to the County of Fauquier of a fixed sum to be used exclusively for the provision of tax relief to owners of qualifying personal use vehicles that are subject to the personal property tax on such vehicles; now, therefore, be it.
RESOLVED, by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 9th day of August 2007, That qualifying vehicles obtaining situs within the County of Fauquier during tax year 2007, shall receive personal property tax relief in the following manner:
· Personal use vehicles valued at $1,000 or less will be eligible for 100% tax relief;
· Personal use vehicles valued at $1,001 to $20,000 will be eligible for 61% tax relief;
· Personal use vehicles valued at $20,001 or more shall only receive 61% tax relief on the first $20,000 of value;
· All other vehicles which do not meet the definition of “qualifying” (business use vehicles, farm use vehicles, motor homes, etc.) will not be eligible for any form of tax relief under this program; and
· In accordance with Item 503.D.1, the entitlement to personal property tax relief for qualifying vehicles for tax year 2005 and all prior tax years expired on September 1, 2006. Supplemental assessments for tax years 2005 and prior that are made on or after September 1, 2006, unless determined to be of no fault of the taxpayer, shall be deemed ‘non-qualifying’ for purposes of state tax relief and the local share due from the taxpayer shall represent 100% of the tax assessable.