AN ORDINANCE AMENDING SECTION 13-51 OF THE CODE OF FAUQUIER COUNTY TO PROVIDE A COUNTY DECAL TO RETIRED MEMBERS OF VOLUNTEER RESCUE SQUADS AND RETIRED MEMBERS OF VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENTS
WHEREAS, pursuant to Section 13-51 of the Code of Fauquier County, a license fee on automobiles and trucks is levied; and
WHEREAS, Virginia Code Section 46.2-752.A(11) permits localities to provide a decal at no cost for a vehicle owned or leased by a person who is a retired volunteer fire department or retired member of a volunteer rescue squad with at least 10 years of service; and
WHEREAS, after due notice and hearing, the Board of Supervisors, by the adoption of this Ordinance, has determined that it is in the best interests and welfare of its citizens to amend Fauquier County Code Section 13-51 to provide a decal at no cost for one vehicle owned or leased by a person who is a retired volunteer fire department or retired member of a volunteer rescue squad with at least 10 years of service; now, therefore, be it
ORDAINED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 10th day of August 2006, That Fauquier County Code Section 13-51 be, and is hereby, amended to add a new paragraph 5 to read as follows:
The County hereby levies and assesses a license fee on automobiles and trucks, except:
(1) Vehicles used by a dealer or manufacturer for sales purposes;
(2) Vehicles are used as common carriers of persons or property operated between cities or towns in this State, and not in intra-city transportation, or between cities or towns on the one hand and points and places outside the cities and towns on the other, and not in intra-city transportation.
(3) Vehicles used by an active member of volunteer fire and rescue companies of the County or an active member of the Sheriff's auxiliary deputy program, provided, however, that active members of any volunteer fire and rescue companies shall provide to the Treasurer at the time of application for issuance of the license a written certification by the chief of the volunteer company that said applicant is an active member, and is a member whose name appears in the book of "Volunteer Fire Fighters" kept by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, and provided further that any auxiliary deputy shall provide a certificate from the Sheriff stating that the auxiliary deputy is an active volunteer in the Sheriff's auxiliary deputy program. No applicant shall be issued more than one (1) such license free of charge.
(4) Vehicles owned or leased by a person who is sixty-five (65) years of age or older shall be entitled to a fifty (50) percent reduction in the license fee assessed on that vehicle, provided that no such discount shall be available for more than one (1) vehicle owned or leased by the same person.
(5) Vehicles owned by former members of volunteer rescue squads and former members of volunteer fire departments having at least 10 years of service in the County. No such former member shall be issued more than one (1) such license free of charge.