A Resolution to Approve Salem Community Montessori School SPEX05-MA-035, A Category 5 Special Exception Requesting to Operate a Montessori School
WHEREAS, the Salem Community Montessori School, applicant, is seeking Special Exception approval to operate a Montessori School in a (leased) meeting room at the Marshall Community Center; and
WHEREAS, on August 25, 2005, the Fauquier County Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed Special Exception and recommended approval of the application, subject to conditions; and
WHEREAS, on September 8, 2005, the Board of Supervisors conducted a public hearing and considered written and oral testimony; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors has determined that the application satisfies the standards of Zoning Ordinance Articles 5-006 and 5-504 and; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 8th day of September 2005, That SPEX05-MA-035 be, and is hereby, approved, subject to the following conditions:
1. This Special Exception is granted for and runs with the land indicated in this application and is not transferable to other land.
2. This Special Exception is granted only for the purpose(s), structure(s) and/or uses indicated on the Special Exception Plat approved with this application, as qualified by these development conditions.
3. The Site Plan requirement shall be waived.
4. No new structures shall be constructed.
5. The elementary school shall not exceed thirty (30) students.
6. This approval allows the Salem Community Montessori School (SCMS) to operate, September through June, five consecutive years, 2005-2010, Monday through Friday.
7. SCMS shall obtain an appropriate lease agreement with Fauquier County Parks and Recreation Department for use of the facility.
8. Hours of operation shall be: Monday – Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Closures will coincide with all government holidays in addition to other organizational holidays.
9. SCMS will not provide before or after school care for children during its tenancy at the Marshall Community Center.
10. A certified Montessori instructor (AMI certified) shall be present during school hours.
11. There will always be at least two (2) adults present employed by SCMS to provide on site supervision for the children, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
12. Children will be escorted by an adult at all times, including but not limited to the playground, bathroom and library. SCMS shall use specific procedures and guidelines for adults to follow when accompanying students in all areas of the community center. A copy of these procedures shall be submitted to the County for the project file.
13. Two (2) adults shall escort children when using the playground.
14. The SCMS program shall adhere to the guidelines as set forth by the Association Montessori International.
15. The school shall provide evidence of appropriate insurance (full liability policy) when signing the lease to use the Marshall Community Center.
16. SCMS shall have an emergency policy that includes emergency forms to be signed by parents and/or legal guardians that provide details regarding emergency care. A copy of this document shall be submitted to the County for the project file.
17. SCMS shall have a written emergency plan in case of accident, fire, snow, or other unforeseen occurrence. This includes an emergency call plan, posted evacuation maps, written procedures, and practice drills as mandated by state and county codes. A copy of this document shall be submitted to the County for the project file.
18. No food preparation or lunch service shall be offered. Students shall bring packed lunches.
19. Accreditation by Association Montessori International (AMI) shall be maintained.