CONSENT AGENDA REQUEST

Sponsor:

 Board of Supervisors Meeting Date:

 

Raymond E. Graham, Chairman, Cedar Run District Supervisor

 

September 8, 2005

Staff Lead:

Department:

 

Kristen Slawter, Planner II

Community Development

Topic:

 

A Resolution to the Virginia Board of Historic Resources and the National Park Service Supporting the Inclusion of Casanova on the Virginia Landmarks and National Registers

 

Topic Description:

 

On August 16, 2005, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources conducted an evening public hearing and informational meeting regarding the merits of including Casanova on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. This hearing was conducted in the Warren Green Meeting Room.  Property owners and community representatives received a briefing from the County’s architectural consultant, Maral Kalbian, and responded positively to her report.

 

The Virginia Department of Historic Resources will present these findings to the Commonwealth Board of Historic Resources on September 14, 2005.  A letter to the Virginia Board of Historic Resources and resolution of support from the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors would be of value.

 

Requested Action of the Board of Supervisors:

Consider adoption of the attached resolution.

Financial Impact Analysis:

None

 

Summary Staff Report:

 

The County has 21 historic areas that are of state and national significance.  The Final Report for Survey Update of Historic properties in Fauquier County, Virginia (March 20, 2002) recommended all be submitted for designation on the Virginia Landmarks and National Register of Historic Places. 

 

As a result of the referenced report, the County has pursued this major project with both Board of Supervisors and private contributions.  Since 2003, the County completed detailed surveys which resulted in the Villages and Settlements of Ashville, Atoka, Morgantown, Delaplane, New Baltimore, Remington and Rectortown being placed on the Virginia Landmarks and the National Register of Historic Places.

 

The survey work and requisite public hearing for the Village of Casanova has been completed. The Property owners and community representatives received a briefing on August 16, 2005 from the County’s architectural consultant, Maral Kalbian, and responded positively to her report.  The Virginia Department of Historic Resources will present these findings to the Commonwealth Board of Historic Resources on September 14, 2005.

 

The Village of Casanova, located a few miles southeast of Warrenton, was developed in the 1850s at the intersection of Rogue’s Road and the newly laid Warrenton Branch Railroad.  Although the train station is no longer standing, the Casanova Historic District is very much intact and contains a collection of buildings representative of the town during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.    

 

Even though the community has no official limits, the boundaries of the district have been drawn to include the area around the junction of Casanova Road, Rogues Road, Weston Road, and the railroad tracks.  This area, which contains approximately 32 acres, includes 16 properties and is primarily a village setting with 32 contributing resources, dating from circa 1880 to 1910.    

 

The collection of buildings included within the district has high architectural integrity.  Although the train that passes through Casanova is now only used by a local quarry company, the historical character is still retained by its fairly intact collection of late-19th and early 20th-century commercial and residential buildings, including a mill, store, post office, parish hall, and houses. 

 

Identify any other Departments, Organizations or Individuals that would be affected by this request:

Property Owners