A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE FRESTA VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL: SEAM07-MA-008 AN AMENDMENT TO A PREVIOUSLY APPROVED CATEGORY 5 SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO ALLOW FOR CONSTRUCTION OF A MULTI-PURPOSE FACILITY AND ADDITIONAL PARKING; AND TO INCREASE THE STUDENT POPULATION BY 100
WHEREAS, Fresta Valley Christian School, Ltd., owner and applicant, is seeking Special Exception approval to amend a previously approved Category 5 Special Exception to allow for construction of an addition to its school building to include a multi-purpose gymnasium room, additional storage areas, new bathrooms, new library, classrooms, offices and additional parking and to increase its total number of students by 100 (for a grand total of 400 students) on the parcels known as PINs 6956-25-6041-000 and 6956-1534-000; and
WHEREAS, on August 30, 2007, the Fauquier County Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed Special Exception; and
WHEREAS, the Fauquier County Planning Commission recommended unanimous approval of the application, subject to conditions; and
WHEREAS, on October 11, 2007, the Board of Supervisors conducted a public hearing and considered written and oral testimony; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors has determined that the application satisfies the standards of Zoning Ordinance Articles 5-006, and 5-500; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 11th day of October 2007, That SEAM07-MA-008 be, and is hereby, approved, subject to the following conditions:
1. This Special Exception is granted for and runs with the land indicated in this application and is not transferable to other land.
2. This Special Exception is granted only for the purpose(s), structure(s) and/or uses indicated on the Special Exception Plat titled Fresta Valley Christian School dated July 31, 2007, as approved with this application, as qualified by these development conditions.
3. All lighting shall be in conformance with the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance and positioned downward, inward and shielded to eliminate glare from all adjacent properties.
4. The applicant shall comply with all applicable water and sewage treatment standards as determined by the Virginia Department of Health.
5. The Special Exception shall grant the following uses at the site identified as PINs 6956-25-6041-000 & 6956-1534-000:
a. Primary School - allowed in accordance with Zoning Ordinance Sections 3-305.2, 5-006, 5-501, 5-502, and 5-504.
b. Secondary/Advanced School - allowed in accordance with Zoning Ordinance Sections 3-305.3, 5-006, 5-501, 5-502, and 5-504.
6. This Special Exception approval grants the Fresta Valley Christian School a Special Exception to allow for construction of their proposed building to commence within five (5) years of date of Special Exception approval.
7. A new Major Site Plan is required per Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance Sections 3-305.2, 3-305.3, 12-201 and 12-500 for the uses since new physical changes to the property are proposed that will require 10,000 square feet or more of land disturbance.
8. The architecture, building materials and landscaping shall be consistent with the Special Exception Plat, and as described in the Statement of Justification.
9. Storm water management and BMPs shall be required for the site.
10. The applicant shall meet landscape and buffering requirements pursuant to the Zoning Ordinance.
11. No new structures shall be constructed or located within 100 feet of any adjoining property line, which is in a Rural or Residential zoning district.
12. The maximum number of students on site shall be four hundred (400) .
13. The maximum number of teachers on site shall be fifty (50).
14. Regular hours of school operation shall be limited from 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, the multipurpose facility is not subject to these hours of operation and it may be used seven (7) days per week.
15. Extracurricular activities during the school year for students may take place before or after school or on weekends.
16. During summertime the school shall have the option of conducting day camps or summer programs for students such as, but not limited to, Band/Orchestra camp. During summertime, the maximum number of day campers on site shall be one hundred forty (140). During summertime, the hours of operation shall be limited to 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
17. All new outdoor recreation areas shall be fully fenced.
18. There shall be no lighting of the recreational athletic fields.
19. For outdoor recreation, the number of children that may use the space at any one time is based on the size of the fenced area and the child’s school year as follows: kindergarten through grade 3 shall have 200 square feet of space per child using the recreational area at any one time; and grade 4 through 12 shall have 430 square feet per child using the recreational area at any one time.
20. Children shall be escorted by teachers or other authorized adults to access the outdoor recreation area or other athletic fields.
21. Fresta Valley Christian School shall demonstrate to the County that it has an emergency policy that includes emergency forms to be signed by parents and/or legal guardians that provide details regarding emergency care.
22. Fresta Valley Christian School shall demonstrate to the County that it has a written emergency plan in case of accident, fire, snow, or other unforeseen occurrence. This includes an emergency call plan, posted evacuation maps, written procedures, and practice drills as mandated by state and county codes.
23. Food preparation on site shall occur only if appropriate Virginia Department of Health permits are obtained. Prior to conducting this activity, evidence of appropriate approvals shall be provided to the Zoning Administrator.
24. A retaining wall shall be constructed, for tree preservation, as indicated on the aforementioned Special Exception Plat.
25. Tree areas designated to provide screening from adjacent properties and Wilson Road (Route 738) shall be clearly labeled on the Site Plan. Trees within these areas shall be replaced if they are fallen, diseased, or dead.
26. The entrance shall meet minimum sight distance and entrance requirements in accordance with the VDOT Minimum Standard of Entrances to State Highways.
27. Since public water supply is unavailable, arrangements shall be made to comply with a nationally recognized standard such as NFPA 1142 Standard on Water Supplies for Suburban and Rural Fire Fighting.
28. Except as herein provided, all exterior lighting shall be less than three (3) feet high, downlit, shielded and less than 2.5 foot candles measured at the edge of the area being so lighted, and shall be limited to providing safe access from on-site facilities to parking areas and along pedestrian walkways. Notwithstanding anything contained in the previous sentence, there shall be no lighting of athletic fields or courts. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary within this paragraph, pole lights in parking areas shall not exceed twelve (12) feet in height and will be downlit, shielded so that the light source is not visible from outside the property and parking areas shall be lit at less than 2.5 foot-candles. Lights shall be on a timer to be turned off at 10:00 P.M. unless occasional after hour activities require later use.
29. Except as herein provided, there shall be no outdoor sound amplification of whatever means. Notwithstanding anything contained in the previous sentence, the following event may include amplification of sound: graduation ceremonies.
30. Fresta Valley Christian School shall not allow its students to drive themselves to school and park their vehicles on site.