WHEREAS, Fauquier County has a variety of issues and interests which require legislative action by the Virginia General Assembly; and
WHEREAS, the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) has requested submission of such legislative proposals for consideration in the 2007 VACo Legislative Program; and
WHEREAS, from time to time the Board of Supervisors may revise its Legislative Program to include additional legislative priorities and issues; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 12th day of October 2006, That the Board of Supervisors’ 2007 Legislative Program be, and is hereby, adopted as follows:
· Adequate Public Facilities - Fauquier County supports Adequate Public Facilities legislation, which would permit high growth localities, as part of their subdivision or zoning ordinance, to determine whether public facilities are adequate to support the services which will be required by the proposed subdivision or rezoning.
· School Funding - Fauquier County supports discontinuing adjusted market value and utilizing taxable value in the calculation of the Composite Index. Fauquier County supports the continued full funding of the State’s share of the Standards of Quality, the full funding of any categorical educational mandate, including pay raises, and the full funding of the State’s portion of the Standards of Learning relating to instructional technology. Fauquier County also supports increased funding for School Construction.
· Local Government Zoning, Land Use and Revenue Authority - As a general policy position, Fauquier County opposes any measure that would eliminate or reduce any local government zoning, land use or revenue authority. Fauquier County opposes the continued imposition of unfunded state mandates upon local governments.
· Purchase of Development Rights and Conservation - Fauquier County supports increased State funding for the purchase of conservation easements and other land conservation needs.
· Affordable Housing - Fauquier County supports the Virginia Housing Coalition’s proposal to establish a Virginia Housing Trust Fund, capitalized with an ongoing source of State funding.
· Water Resources Planning - Fauquier County supports a comprehensive, State-funded study of the Commonwealth’s surface and groundwater resources.
· Transportation Priorities - Fauquier County supports State funding for the following top three transportation priorities:
· Libraries - Fauquier County supports full funding of the state aid formula for public libraries, and increased funding for library technology.