A Resolution to Approve WHITMAN’S AIRSTRIP, SPEX05-CR-033: A Category 21 Special Exception TO ALLOW FOR THE CONTINUED OPERATION OF A PRIVATELY OWNED, PUBLIC-USE AIRPORT
WHEREAS, Jackie L. George, applicant, and Whitman’s Holdings, Owner, is seeking Special Exception amendment and renewal approval for continued operation of an airstrip on PIN #7940-34-8856-000; and
WHEREAS, on April 26, 2005, the Fauquier County Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed Special Exception; and
WHEREAS, on August 25, 2005, the Fauquier County Planning Commission recommended approval of the application, subject to conditions; and
WHEREAS, on October 13, 2005, the Board of Supervisors conducted a public hearing and considered written and oral testimony; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors has determined that the application satisfies the standards of Zoning Ordinance Articles 5-006, 5-013 and 5-2100; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors this 13th day of October 2005, That SPEX05-CR-033 be, and is hereby, approved, subject to the following conditions:
1. The Special Exception is granted for and runs with the land indicated in this application and is not transferable to other land.
2. This Special Exception is granted only for the purpose(s), structure(s) and/or uses indicated on the Special Exception Plat approved with the application, as qualified by these development conditions.
3. The approved airstrip on the property, PIN 7940-34-8856-000, shall be in general conformance with the plat titled “Special Exception Exhibit on the Property of Whitman’s Holding, LLC” dated 2/25/05 and received in the Planning Office on March 4, 2005.
4. Prior to land disturbance for any new construction or alterations of any type, a site plan consistent with the approved Special Exception, provisions of Article 12 of the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance and the bulk regulations for the underlying RA zoning district must be approved prior to obtaining building and zoning permits.
5. The applicant shall maintain the Glare Standards of Section 9-900 of the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance.
6. The applicant shall maintain the standards for Outdoor Light Control of Section 9-1000 of the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance.
7. Any use or activity not specified in this Special Exception shall require new permit or Special Exception approval.
8. The total number of aircraft based at Whitman’s Airstrip shall not exceed twenty (20) light aircraft, to include ultralights.
9. All aircraft at the site shall be limited to a maximum of a four (4) seat capacity, with the exception of emergency situations/use of the airstrip.
10. Takeoff and landing operations occurring prior to 9:00 AM will be required to conduct only straight in and straight out patterns.
11. Effective December 1, 1999, all aircraft based out of Whitman’s Airstrip will be required to display identifying numbers of no less than twelve (12) inches in size; the color of all such markings shall contrast the background of the aircraft to allow easy recognition.
12. Effective January 1, 2000, all aircraft and ultralights based out of Whitman’s Airstrip will be required to maintain liability insurance for any flight operating to or from Whitman’s Airfield. The owner shall submit to the Zoning Administrator an affidavit no later than February 15 of each year stating that all pilots based out of Whitman’s Airstrip have liability insurance.
13. The public sale of aviation fuel is prohibited.
14. Aircraft based at Whitman’s Airstrip shall, at all times, follow a standard lefthanded pattern. For ultralight aircraft, the downwind leg for the runway 04 shall be east of the clearly visible power lines parallel to runway 04/22; thus keeping all ultralight pattern operation over the Whitman property.
15. Contour flying is illegal per FAR’s, and shall not be permitted at Whitman’s Airstrip.
16. Whitman Airstrip will enforce a policy that stipulates against flights under 500 feet above ground level except in pattern activity.
17. Noise abatement procedures shall be clearly outlined to Whitman’s Airstrip pilots, and rules/guidelines shall be available to all Whitman’s Airstrip users. Additionally, Whitman will ask the Warrenton-Fauquier Airport and the Warrenton Airpark to display the Whitman Airstrip rules and associated noise abatement procedures.
18. Whitman Airstrip shall make available to the County the policy mandating removal of troublesome pilots from the Whitman Airfield roster. This policy currently affords one verbal/written warning, followed by a probation period and finally a final and permanent removal from the airfield.
19. Whitman’s Airstrip shall maintain all proper local, state, and federal regulatory licenses, approvals, and inspections.
20. Effective immediately the grass strip parallel to the road will be closed. Whitman’s Airstrip will maintain the grass strip with an X and display signs to prevent pilots from landing or taking off there.
21. No commercial maintenance facility will be permitted at Whitman Airstrip.
22. Allow for one (1) annual advertised open house per calendar year. This event shall be free of charge and shall include aviation/airport themed activities, food and go-cart rides. A designated parking area will be clearly identified for visitors.