NEWS FROM THE LIBRARY
For release 12/15/03 Contact: Cynthia Taylor
(540) 347-8750 ex. 18
· Bealeton Library Facts
· In March 2001, the Board of Supervisors authorized the construction of a 10,000 sq. ft. full-service library branch in Bealeton off Route 17. The new branch replaces a 3,200 sq. ft. storefront library in the Bealeton Village Shopping Center.
· Construction began in October 2002 and will be completed in December 2003.
· The land for the library was donated to the county by the Bealeton Station property development group Bealeton Landmarks, LLC, a group interested in preserving the history of the area... Bealeton Landmarks moved the long-neglected original Bealeton Station depot to the library site, replaced its roof, and made a number of structural repairs.
· The 820-square-foot depot will adjoin the new Bealeton Library, and will eventually serve as a program room for the library and a community meeting space. Renovations to the depot, funded in large part by corporate donations and a Transportation Enhancement Act of the Twenty-First Century (TEA-21) grant, are expected to begin in 2004.
· The new library will provide a full spectrum of services and programs for children, teens, and adults with a collection eventually reaching 50,000 books and other materials. Substantially more seating and study space will be available as will a quiet study room.
· The new children’s area provides much more space for books and materials, story hours, and other programs.
· Seventeen computers will provide the public with rapid access to the library’s catalog and to the Internet.
· Courier service between the county’s three branches will continue three times a week.
· Parking will be available for 57 cars.
· The new Bealeton Library was designed by The Lukmire Patnership, Ltd, an architecture firm located in Arlington.
· Taft Construction Co. of Culpeper was awarded a $1.37 million contract to build the facility. Financing is provided by The Fauquier Bank and Marshall National Bank and Trust.