WHEREAS, Fauquier County has a variety of issues and interests which require legislative action by the Virginia General Assembly; and
WHEREAS, the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) has requested submission of such legislative proposals for consideration in the 2004 VACo Legislative Program; and
WHEREAS, from time to time the Board of
Supervisors may amend its Legislative Program to include additional
legislative priorities and issues;
now, therefore, be it
· Adequate Public Facilities - Fauquier County supports Adequate Public Facilities legislation, which would permit high growth localities, as part of their subdivision or zoning ordinance, to determine whether public facilities are adequate to support the services which will be required by the proposed subdivision or rezoning.
· Impact Fees - Fauquier County continues to support legislation that would allow localities the option to assess impact fees for School Construction and other essential government services in lieu of voluntary cash proffers.
· School Funding - Fauquier County supports the full funding of the State’s share of the Standards of Quality, full funding of any categorical educational mandate, including pay raises, and full funding of the State’s portion of the Standards of Learning relating to instructional technology. Fauquier County also supports increased funding for School Construction.
· Cost of Competing - Fauquier County respectfully requests those State legislators representing Fauquier County introduce legislation to incorporate Fauquier County into the Cost of Competing School Funding Formula.
· Local Revenue Authority - Fauquier County opposes any measure that would eliminate or reduce any local government revenue authority.
· Local Government Zoning and Land Use Authority - Fauquier County opposes any further dilution of the zoning and land use regulatory authority of local governments.
· Revenue Sharing - Fauquier County strongly supports any legislative proposal that results in the State sharing a portion of its income tax revenues (within its existing rate structure) with localities, and which provides local flexibility in determining how it should be used.
· Increased Local Authority - Fauquier County supports legislation to provide for increased local authority in planning, zoning and revenue matters through a statutory relaxation of the Dillon Rule. However, the relaxation of the Dillon Rule should not be accompanied by a shift of responsibility for various programs from the State government to local government.
· Purchase of Development Rights - Fauquier County supports increased State funding for the purchase of conservation easements and other land conservation needs.
· Transfer Tax - Fauquier County supports legislation that would enable counties and cities, through local option, to enact a real estate transfer tax.
· Land Use Taxation - Fauquier County supports legislation that would lengthen the Use Value Taxation roll-back period to at least ten years.
· Affordable Housing - The Board of Supervisors respectfully requests those State legislators representing Fauquier County introduce legislation to include Fauquier under the provisions of Section 15.2304 of the Code of Virginia, which would enable Fauquier County to require affordable housing.
· Water Resources Planning - Fauquier County supports a comprehensive study of the Commonwealth's surface and groundwater resources.
· Land Use Taxation - Fauquier County supports legislation that would allow local governments the option of excluding commercial, industrial, and/or residentially zoned properties from the Land Use Taxation Program. Fauquier County further supports the local option to exclude properties within designated service districts as may be contained within a locality's Comprehensive Plan.
Personal Property Tax – Fauquier County supports a legislative proposal that would, at local option, include privately owned trailers that are designed and used for the transportation of all livestock in the same classification as horse trailers and privately owned recreational travel and camping trailers for purposes of assessing such personal property.