Community Development Offices

Land Development

Plans & Policies

Department Functions

home     government     calendars     what's new     education     doing business     visitors

Building Permit

Building Permit

Questions about
Building Permits?

Call Permitting & Inspections
Staff at 540-422-8230.

A Building Permit is required for most new construction or alterations to buildings, as well as for most electrical, plumbing or mechanical work. A Zoning Permit is required before a property can be utilized for any activity other than agriculture, horticulture or forestry. Because most projects require both a Zoning Permit and Building Permit, the application form for both permits has been combined in order to simplify the process for applicants.

Submission requirements for building permits vary according to the type of use or building being proposed with the permit. The submission requirements for the most common types of applications are set forth below. If you are proposing a use or structure not listed below, please contact the Permitting and Inspections staff for guidance.

Building Permit for New Single Family Dwelling or Additions
Detailed Submission Requirements are found here.

Building Permit for Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Construction
Detailed Submission Requirements are found here.

Building Permit for Deck
Submission Requirements:

Building Permit for Finished Basement
Submission Requirements:

Building Permit for Swimming Pool
Submission Requirements:

  • Building/Zoning Permit Application
  • 2 Sets Building Plans.
  • Plat showing property existing buildings and size and location of pool, associated equipment and fence relative to existing buildings.
  • Soils Policy/Form
  • Contractor Identification Sheet
  • Mechanic Lien Agent Form.   
  • Agent's Affidavit Form.   (Only required if applicant is not the owner.)
  • Pool Barrier Affidavit
  • Swimming Pool Health Department Verification. When a property is served by a septic system, any application for a building permit for a swimming pool, (in-ground or above-ground), requires submission of a letter of verification from the Health Department.  The Health Department approval assures that pools are not constructed too close to wells or septic-systems, or in areas designated for reserve drain-fields.
  • $75 fee check for Zoning Permit and minimum fees required for Building Permit when application submitted.

Building Permit for Agricultural Building
No Building Permit is required for eligible agricultural structures, but a Zoning Permit is required.  Submit:


Search :
Copyright 2001 - Fauquier County. All rights reserved.