Resources & Programs @ the Library
Box O' Books
Box O' Books is the library’s book service for daycare, preschool and child care providers. Learn more.
The library's own "Mother Goose" is available for special story times at daycare, preschool, and child care centers. Mrs. Goose includes storytelling, finger plays and some puppetry in her story time sessions. If your group would like to have "Mother Goose" visit, please contact Public Services Manager Dawn Sowers at (540) 422-8517.
FreeTutoring, Homework Help: Students in Virginia can receive tutoring assistance from state-certified teachers through Homework Help, Literati's real-time online tutoring tool. Teachers are available to assist with Reading, Writing and Math.
Kid-Friendly Search Engines
- American Memory: Primary documents and historical materials available on the Web from the Library of Congress.
- The Exploratorium: The science museum in San Francisco mounts electronic versions of hands-on exhibits like the science of hockey, tracking severe storms, and how to dissect a cow's eye.
- Franklin Institute Science Museum: A wealth of fun, educational and exciting information from the famed Philadelphia museum. Visit the online exhibits. Educational hotlists offer valuable homework connections. Check out the Kids Did This! Hotlist featuring the work of children in areas such as art, science and social studies.
- National Wildlife Federation: The Kids Page features articles in English and in Spanish from Ranger Rick, the environmental magazine for children; a homework help section; and briefings on issues such as the wetlands, endangered animals, water quality and more.
- WatchKnow - From the co-founder of Wikipedia, educational videos (organized by subject) for students ages 3-18.
- ABCya.com - Grade level lessons incorporate areas such as math and language arts while introducing basic computer skills
- Cookie - Learning games for preschoolers and kids designed by child experts and educators
- Duckie Deck - Over 125 ad-free games geared at toddlers
- FunBrain Moms and Kids Playground - Games to help children practice mouse skills, part of the Family Education Network
- National Geographic Kids - Learning games that emphasized science, nature and geography
- Nick Jr. - Aimed at preschoolers, games star popular characters from the Nickelodeon network
- PBS Kids - Games, activities and printables from favorite PBS Kids television shows
- Reading is Fundamental (RIF) Game Station - Games and activities for practicing reading and writing skills
- Scholastic.com - Writing games, quizzes and polls, puzzle and arcade games from the children's book publisher
- Sesame Street Games - Browse by theme or character; perfect for the younger child
- Sprout - Games and videos starring characters from shows such as Wiggles, Barney, and Thomas the Tank Engine, geared to ages 2-5
- Starfall.com - Educational site offering games that encourage reading, primarily designed for preK-2nd grade children