home     government     calendars     what's new     education     doing business     visitors

Parks and Recreation Questions

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Select from the following Categories:



C.M. Crockett Park

Vint Hill Village Green

Monroe Park


Office Hours:
Click on the following park location names to view the office hours of each park:
Administrative Office, Marshall Community Center, C. M. Crockett Park, Monroe, Vint Hill, Northern Fauquier Community Park and Warrenton Community Center?

Is there a pool open to the public in the county?
Yes, the county operates the outdoor Larry Weeks Community Pool. The pool is open daily Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Contact Vint Hill Community Center at 540-347-6894 for more information, or Larry Weeks Community Pool at 540-347-6935.*

Swim Lessons:
Does the Parks and Rec Department offer swim lessons?
Yes, contact C.M.Crockett Park, or Vint Hill Community Center, or the Marshall Community Center for additional information.

Sports Leagues:
Does the county offer baseball, soccer, basketball or football leagues?
Youth athletic leagues are run by private organizations and the Department can give you a telephone number to contact.

Where is the Parks and Rec Administrative office located?
The office is located at 320 Hospital Drive, Suite 6, Warrenton VA, in the Alice Jane Childs County Office Building.

We just moved to the area and would like to know what Parks and Recreation has to offer.
The Department produces the online publication GoodTimes that will give you that information.

*The Town of Warrenton also has an indoor pool, The Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation Facility (WARF). Please call them at 540-349-2520.


How do I schedule a facility?
Staff can immediately make your reservation at any department office. You can also pick up a reservation form at any department office, or go to the Forms webpage for a facility use application. Fill it out, make sure to read the rules on the back, sign the form, and return it to any department office with payment, if any. Your request will be processed by staff as quickly as possible. You will be contacted in writing as to availability or to possible alternatives. All paperwork (forms, permits) must accompany payment. Payment in full is the only way to 'hold' a reservation date.
Can I reserve a facility over the phone?
No, the facility application form must be signed and all appropriate fees paid prior to assignment. You can check availability at the Facility Availability search webpage.
Where can I camp in the County?
Primitive campsites are available at Sky Meadows State Park (540) 592-3556, a state operated park in Paris, Virginia.

Hours - Parks:
What hours are parks open?
All parks are open sunup to sundown daily year-round. Crockett Park's hours are dawn to dusk daily. Facililties at Warrenton Branch Greenway, Crockett Park, Northern Fauquier Community Park and Monroe Park are gated. Gates are open at sunrise and locked at sunset.
What parks are in Warrenton?
Warrenton Branch Greenway, Whites Mill, Woods at Warrenton, the Lord Fairfax Community College Trail and school sites. (Contact the Town of Warrenton Parks and Recreation Department at 540-349-2520 for more information about their parks.) Rady Park and Academy Hill Park are also located in Warrenton.
Which parks have reservable shelters?
C.M. Crockett Park, Vint Hill Village Green, Monroe Park and Northern Fauquier Community Park.


How do I contact C.M. Crockett Park ?
By phone, call (540) 788-4867 and leave a message on the voice mail system during non-office hours. By fax: (540) 788-1701.
What are the directions to Crockett Park?
It is located about 7 miles south of Warrenton off Rt. 643/Meetze Road on the west side of the road. Follow signs.
What kinds of boats does the park have to rent?
Jonboats with and without electric motors,  paddleboats, canoes, waterbee pedalboats, a waterbike and a small sailboat.
What fish are stocked in Germantown Lake?
Largemouth bass, channel catfish, bluegill, redear sunfish, and shell cracker. The park restocked the lake with channel cats in October of 2009.
Do you sell fishing licenses?
Yes. If you are 16 or older, you'll need a valid state license. Licenses are available at C.M. Crockett Park, Wal-Mart, and Waters Appliance(Marshall, VA).
Do you need a special permit to fish in Germantown Lake?
No special permit is needed but a state license is required (see above).
Is hunting allowed on park property?
Since the park is a nature preserve, hunting is prohibited on or near park boundaries. The lake is also off limits to hunting or decoys.
What activities are available?
Winter: Cross-country skiing, bird watching, hiking/walking, winter sports, fishing.
Summer/Spring: Wildflower viewing, bird watching, hiking/walking, kite flying, fishing, and boating with electric motors.
Fall: Fall colors, migrating bird viewing, programs, fishing, dog walking, plus those listed below.
Other than boats and fishing what does the park offer?
Volleyball court, horseshoe pit (2), 1.25 mile Four Seasons nature trail, 1.5 mile Cross Country Trail, Bluebird Trail, Sanctuary - Commemorative Grove, 5 rentable shelters, boat ramp, fishing pier, recreational equipment to rent, modern restrooms (not open Nov.-Feb.), playgrounds (2), picnic tables, grills, orienteering courses, concession stand, and amphitheater.
Is there swimming in Germantown Lake?
Swimming is not permitted due to liability, lack of adequate shoreline and the fact that Germantown Lake is a proposed drinking water source for southern Fauquier County.
What are the hours of operation for the concession stand?
March through Memorial Day, weekends only. 7 a.m. - Dusk.
Memorial Day through Labor Day, seven days a week. 7 a.m. - Dusk.
Labor Day through October, weekends only. 7 a.m. - Dusk.
November through February, closed.
What are the park hours?
Dawn to dusk. This includes Germantown Lake.
Is there an entrance fee to Crockett Park?
There are no entrance fees for Fauquier County residents. Fee for non-county residents is $7.00 per vehicle with non-county decal. The honor system is in effect when gatehouse is not manned.
Is the park open all year?
Yes, the park is open daily (see Crockett Park page for hours).


How do I register for a Parks and Recreation class?
You can sign up for a program in any region (Northern, Central, Eastern, or Southern). Just print and fill out a FastLink Client Account form , and a course registration form and mail to the region. Full payment must accompany registration to hold your place. Staff can also register you immediately electronically at any department office during the registration period. If setting up an account online for the first time, you must register for at least 1 program during the same on-line session for your account to be saved.
When can I sign up or register?
There are specific registration periods. Registration continues without interruption for each course until its specified registration deadline. No late registrations will be accepted after the course’s published registration deadline. Refer to individual course descriptions for specific registration deadlines. See the GoodTimes or call the office in that region for dates and times.
Where can I get specific program information?
View the on-line Parks and Recreation GoodTimes publication. It comes out 5 times per year - September, late October, December, March, June. Also on-line at the Fastlink website under the Activities Tab.


What is available to the public?
Vint Hill Village Green Community Center houses a large gymnasium, two racquetball courts, conference room, lounge area, fitness studio, and weight room. In addition to the indoor facility, the Village Green offers (2 lighted/1 nonlighted)softball/baseball fields, soccer/football fields, lighted basketball court, and lighted tennis courts and outdoor pools.
How do I contact Vint Hill Village Green or the eastern region offices?
For information call 540-347-6894, Fax 540-347-1895, or write to: PO Box 861435, Warrenton, VA 20187.
What activities are available?
Racquetball, tennis, open adult and youth gym, weight room, billiards, foosball, ping pong, open volleyball, badminton and air hockey.
What are the hours of operation?
The Village Green Community Center's operating hours are:
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 10:00pm; Saturday, 9:00am-6:00pm; and Sunday, noon - 6:00pm.
Office hours are:
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 10:00pm; Saturday, 9:00am-6:00pm; and Sunday, noon - 6:00pm.
How can I reserve the shelter or a playing field?
Staff can immediately make your reservation at any department office. Reservation forms can also be picked up at any department office or downloaded and must be filled out completely and signed. If you haven't already done so, print and fill out a FastLink form (along with a copy of driver's license, DMV ID card, or voter registration), and mail to the region. Return the form to any department office or drop box with full payment. Your request will be processed by staff as quickly as possible. You will be contacted in writing as to availability or to possible alternatives.
Is there a public pool located at Vint Hill?
Yes, there is a outdoor public pool (Larry Weeks Community Pools) located on Bludau Drive - walking distance from the Vint Hill Community Center
What amenities does the Larry Weeks Community Pools offer?
There is a family pool that includes a hydro therapy bench, zero depth handicap access ramp, two water basketball hoops and a lap lane. A separate children's pool includes a zero depth beach entry, climb on squirt turtle, frog slide, mushroom umbrella with cascading water, fountains and a frog slide.
How do I contact the Larry Weeks Community Pools?
For pool information, go to our pool page or call 540-347-6894.
Are the Larry Weeks Community Pools available for private rentals?
Yes, call 540-347-6894 for additional information.


What facilities do you have?
Monroe Park, Gold Mining Camp Museum, soccer/football field, picnic shelter, softball/baseball field, playground, beach volleyball court, horseshoe pits and quarter mile paved trail.
What gold mining relics do you have on display?
Hornet balls, ore crusher parts, gold samples, miners' helmets, mortar and pestle, crucibles and maps, plus many more!
Was there gold mining here on site?
No, but there were 19 mines or prospects within a 5 mile radius of the park.
What other ores were mined in the area?
Barite, Barium, Shale, Clay, Copper, Mica, Basalt Sandstone, Quartzite, Granite, Sulfur Pyrite.
What are the two big cement balls outside?
Hornet Balls - From the Liberty Gold Mine used to crush ore.
Where in the area can you pan for gold today?
Currently there aren’t any properties with public access. All are on private property and one must get property owner's permission. Gold panning demonstrations are held at the Gold Mining Camp Museum and can be arranged through Monroe Park.
Can I pan from any public lands (like Phelps WMA)?
Removal of minerals and metal detecting are prohibited. "Resources & Property Damage - It is unlawful to cut, mutilate, destroy or remove vegetation, or to remove minerals, articles or other property from the area. Metal detecting/artifact hunting is prohibited." Taken from the Rules and Regulations post at Phelps WMA. http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/wmarules.pdf
Is there gold in the streams in the area?
Yes, many of the streams in southern Fauquier have some gold in them.
When was the first mine opened in Fauquier County?
The earliest gold mines were the Franklin Gold Mine, which started operations in 1825, the Union Mine (1830), the Liberty Mine (1834), and the Wycoff Mine (1854).

Date Last Modified: 03/04/2015


Search :
Copyright 2001 - Fauquier County. All rights reserved.