Great Books Group
We meet each month to discuss enduring issues and ideas presented through selected readings to stimulate good conversation and hard thinking. For 2014, we have opted to read from “The Short Story Omnibus,” which you can purchase online. However, many of the stories we will be reading are available from the library or are free online (see links below).
- Jan. 6 - The Inherited Clock by Elizabeth Bowen (see Hopkins, Chris. "Elizabeth Bowen" The Free Library 22 June 2001)
- Feb. 3 - Fat by Raymond Carver
- Mar. 3 - Canceled due to inclement weather
- Apr. 7 - Not a Good Girl by Perri Klass (included in the 1984 edition of O. Henry Prize Stories, SC OHE)
- May 5 - For the Relief of Unbearable Urges by Nathan Englander (available via reciprocal lending libraries)
- June 2 - Famine by Xu Xi (included in the 2006 edition of O. Henry Prize Stories, SC OHE)
- July 7 - A Passion in the Desert by Honoré de Balzac (included in A World Treasury of Love Stories, SC WOR)
- Aug. 4 - The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe (available in numerous library titles)
- Sept. 16 - The Real Thing by Henry James (available in Complete Stories, 1892-1898 by Henry James)
- Oct. 6 - A Lady With a Dog by Anton Chekhov (available in Anton Chekhov's Short Stories, edited by Ralph E. Matlaw)
- Nov. 3 - The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Dec. 1 - Her First Ball by Katherine Mansfield (available in Katherine Mansfield's Selected Stories, selected and edited by Vincent O'Sullivan)
For more information about the group, stop at the Warrenton Library reference desk or call (540) 422-8500, ext. 6862. To learn more about all of the library's book clubs, visit our Readers' Tools page.
“A good discussion is known by the skill with which participants listen to one another.”