Office of Reassessment
98 Alexandria Pike
Warrenton, VA 20186
Use MapQuest for Directions
to the County Reassessment Office
R-REO has been updated to reflect the final reassessment values turned over to the Commissioner of the Revenue. These static values serve as the baseline for the January 1, 2014 assessments. Any change in assessment made after January 1, 2014 will be reflected in REO as these changes are made by the Commissioner of the Revenue Office.
Every four years, a general real estate reassessment is conducted in accordance with Section 58.1-3252 of the Code of Virginia. An appraisal firm (County approved) is contracted to reappraise every parcel at its fair market value, which is based upon a sales study completed by the appraisal company. These assessments are effective for four years unless a change is made such as boundary adjustment, division of property, change in zoning, court orders, and new construction.
The Board of Assessors:
The five member Board of Assessors (BOA) representing each Magisterial District is appointed by the Board of Supervisors. The BOA term is limited to the completion and establishment of the values during a Reassessment.
The Board of Equalization:
The Board of Equalization (BOE) is appointed by the Circuit Court after the completion a reassessment. Members made up of Fauquier County residents are broadly representative of the community with a majority being freeholders, and at least 30 percent being current or former professionals in the real estate, construction, financial, or legal fields.
In accordance with Chapter Nineteen of Title 58.1 of the Code of Virginia, the BOE is tasked with the following:
- To hear or receive complaints concerning the fair market value or uniformity of real estate assessments from any taxpayer or his agent;
- To correct any errors or omissions;
- To correct any known duplication or omissions in the assessment roll.
- To make public advertisement of its meetings and keep minutes of such meetings.
In all cases brought before the BOE, the valuation determined by the assessors is presumed to be correct. The taxpayer bears the burden of proving that the property is valued at more than its fair market value, that the assessment is not uniform in its application, or that the assessment is otherwise not equalized.
• Final Reassessment values effective January 1, 2014.
• Late 2013 new construction Real Estate data collection completed in January.
• Court appoints the Board of Equalization (BOE) in early 2014.
• BOE term expected to start in March.
• Commissioner of the Revenue mails Change in Assessment Notices in March for properties in easement and land use, and for late 2013 new construction.
• Board of Supervisor sets tax rates in late March/early April.
• BOE expected to hold formal hearings from late April through mid-August.
• Treasurer mails Real Estate Tax Bills in May with first payment due June.
• BOE term ends August 31, 2014.
• Reassessment Office closes the end of August.
• Reassessment Notices mailed October 10, 2013.
• Informal BOA were held October 21, 2013 through December 6, 2013 Schedule of BOA Hearing Dates
• Scheduling for BOA Hearings started October 11, 2013 and ends November 14 at 4:30 pm.
• Hearing Results mailed in late December.
• BOA term ended December 31, 2013.
• Reassessment complete.
• Real Estate sales analysis began in August.
• Field work for Real Estate data collection began in September.
• Board of Supervisors appointed Board of Assessors (BOA) in late 2012.
The 2014 Reassessment is complete and the Fauquier County Reassessment Office is now closed. The Hearing Results and Changes were mailed at the end of December 2013.
If you have not received your hearing results, or have general questions about BOA changes, please call the Reassessment Office between January 6th, 2014 and January 31st, 2014.
The 2014 Board of Equalization (BOE) has not yet been appointed. Scheduling for BOE hearings is expected to start in late March 2014. For further information about the BOE schedule, please contact the Reassessment Office in early March 2014.