Click here to apply online at the Virginia Commonhelp website
General Relief is a short term assistance
program to help with specific emergency situations.
- The applicant must have an emergency need.
- This emergency need must have resulted from a change in circumstances beyond the applicant's control
- The applicant must be a resident of Fauquier County.
- The applicant must be a citizen or an eligible alien.
- Must apply for all other available benefits.
- The applicant can request a telephone interview(except with an unclaimed burial application).
Actual available gross income for the month of application.
1 person $931
2 persons $1261
3 persons $1591
Emergency Shelter Needs:
- Rent - up to $500.00 for one month in a 12 month period (NO DEPOSITS).
- Utility - up to $500.00 for one month in a 12 month period (NO DEPOSITS).
- Total Shelter - all shelter needs may not exceed $500.00 in one month in a 12 month
Assistance for the Unattached Child: (GR Type 45) Help is provided only to
those children who would be eligible for TANF except that they did not meet the TANF
relationship requirements with the current caretaker.
- To file: Applicant completes an Application form.
- The eligibility worker must substantiate income, resources, and eligibility
determination for the appropriate GR type.
Auxiliary Grants (AG)
AG is a financial assistance supplement for recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and certain other aged, blind or disabled individuals who are residing in a licensed Assisted Living Facility (ALF) or in an Adult Foster Care (AFC) home approved by Social Services.
- Categorical relationship
- Aged - over 65
- Permanently and totaled disabled (18-64)
- Residency - must reside in Fauquier County or been placed as private pay in state
licensed home for adults (and has expended all resources).
- Citizenship - must be a citizen or alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence or
otherwise permanently residing in the U.S. under color of law.
- There must be a need (no other alternative living arrangements).
- Must be eligible for SSI or have applied for and been denied because of excess income
above SSI level.
- Must be residing in a state licensed home for adults.
- The ongoing approved rate for Home for Adults is $1375.00 and $82.00
personal allowance for each recipient.
- All income is applied to total cost. If recipient receives a combination of any two
incomes (SSA & SSI), SSI & VA) they are given an extra $20.00 for personal
- Resources - one person $2,000.