The Fauquier County Architectural Review Board (ARB) was established in 1976 in conformance with a resolution adopted by the Board of Supervisors pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 22, Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia. The mission of the ARB is to protect against the deterioration, destruction, and encroachment upon Fauquier County historic properties and cultural areas and to encourage uses that lead to their continuance, conservation, and improvement.
Through the authority enacted by Article 14, Part 3 of the Fauquier County Zoning Ordinance, the Architectural Review Board is charged with specific duties, including but not limited to:
- advising and assisting the Board of Supervisors, the Planning Commission and other County departments and agencies in matters involving historically significant sites and buildings, such as appropriate land use on and around historic properties;
- conducting studies deemed necessary to discern the best means of preserving and utilizing historic assets in the County; and
- providing public preservation education for Fauquier County citizens and advising historic property owners regarding the best treatment options for historic resources.
The ARB is comprised of seven (7) regular and voting members, all of whom must be Fauquier County residents with a demonstrated knowledge of and interest in the preservation of historic and architectural landmarks. One member is required to serve from each of the five County magisterial districts; another member is required to represent the Planning Commission; and the last member is designated citizen-at-large. Member terms run in four year increments.
|Board Member/Staff||Representing||Term Expiration|
|John (Jack) LaMonica
|G. Robert Lee
Cedar Run District
|Bryan Jacobs||Lee District||01/14/2023|
|Mary M. Root
Community Development (Staff)Phone: (540) 422-8210
|*Denotes Staff Lead|
Fauquier County Historic Preservation Award
The Architectural Review Board (ARB) presents the Fauquier County Historic Preservation Award annually to a deserving individual, group, organization, or business that has made a significant contribution to the preservation and/or protection of historic resources in Fauquier County. Nominations are accepted through March 31. An award recipient is selected in May. To review the award criteria and see a list of potential project examples, click on the following link.
Do you know a Fauquier County resident, organization, or group deserving of this award? Submit an Award Nomination! See the link below.
- Past ARB Projects and Educational Programs
- Historic Preservation in Fauquier County
- Application for Appointment to Committee
|ARB Meeting - CANCELLED||04/01/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||05/06/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||06/03/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||07/01/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||08/05/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||09/02/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||10/07/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||11/04/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|
|ARB Meeting||12/02/2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Not Included|