Boards and Committees play an essential role in county government. Each board and committee is established to secure the participation of Fauquier County residents to promote good government and the effective and efficient delivery of services. In this way, citizens provide necessary input to aid the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors in making decisions responsive to the needs of the county.
The majority of the boards and committees are solely advisory to the Board of Supervisors. There are others that act upon matters that are quasi-judicial in nature, such as the Board of Zoning Appeals. Quasi-judicial items are usually indicated on the agenda and/or announced by the presiding officer during the meeting. Quasi-judicial items are required to adhere to certain proceedings.
For additional information about board vacancies and appointments, please contact the Deputy Clerk to the Board of Supervisors at: 540-422-8020.
Boards & Committees:
- Agricultural and Forestal Advisory Committee oversees the county Agricultural and Forestal District program and makes recommendations to the Board of Supervisors related to the Districts.
- Architectural Review Board works to maintain and protect county historic and cultural resources.
- Board of Building Appeals hears appeals of decisions made by the Building Official, as relative to the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
- Board of Supervisors elected by the people as the legal governing body of the County.
- Board of Zoning Appeals established by the Board of Supervisors to rule upon Variance and Special Permit applications as well as hearing appeals of Zoning Administrator determinations.
- Planning Commission with the support of Community Development, serves as an advisory body to the Board of Supervisors. Recommendations include Special Exceptions, Rezonings, Comprehensive Plan Amendments and other related land development issues.
- Technical Review Committee oversees Construction Plan Review and Major Site Plan Reviews.
- Transportation Advisory Committee serves as an advisory body to the Board of Supervisors and other County boards on all transportation related matters.
Please see individual board and committee pages for meeting agendas and minutes.