To apply for a permit to renovate or do interior alterations to a Commercial/Industrial building you will need:
- The following forms:
- 2 sets of building plans.
- If the property has recently transferred ownership and the new owner is not reflected yet in Real Estate records, a copy of the deed is required.
- Health Department Verification Form, unless served by public water and sewer. Applications will be accepted without verification form, however must be provided before issuance of the permit will take place. Additionally, Food Service approval from the Health Department must be submitted with any building permit application where food service is proposed as part of the construction.
- Fees: Vary significantly depending on extent and features of the renovation/alteration. Minimum fees are collected at time of application submittal. See Fee Schedule for all fees and the amount of Minimum Fees due with application. Fees are payable by exact cash, credit card or check – starter checks will NOT be accepted. Credit cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard & Discover and will only be accepted in person. A convenience fee of 2.5% will be added to all credit card transactions.
Review and Approval Process
Once all materials are submitted, the application is reviewed by Zoning staff and the Building Plans Reviewer. See Plan Review for more detail about the Building Plans Review process.
The review process generally takes 2-3 weeks if plans are complete at time of first submission. If not, additional time is required for resubmission and review.
Once all reviews are complete Permitting staff will contact the applicant to let them know the permit is ready to issue.
When returning to pick up the permit you will need to pay the remaining fees. The balance due will be provided by Permitting staff when they call.
During the construction process periodic inspections are required. See Inspections for more details.
Before the building can be occupied, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required. The CO cannot be issued until the following are completed/provided:
- All building inspections passed.
- It may take up to 48 hours to process your CO.