- When planning your deck, take into consideration the required zoning setbacks, location of your septic system, power lines and other utilities and easements.
- You must obtain a building/zoning permit for your deck.
- Decks qualify to be reviewed under our walk-thru program.
- In lieu of construction plans, the Fauquier County Typical Deck Details may be utilized if your deck meets the qualifications below:
Use is for residential only.
Deck is single level.
Maximum joist span is 18 feet.
Deck does not support a hot tub, sunroom,
screen porch or roof.
To apply for a residential deck permit you will need:
- Building/Zoning Permit Application completed and signed.
- Contractor Information Form- VA State Contractor’s license & Fauquier County Business License for all contractor’s associated with the project
- 2 copies of building plans with all details depicting how the deck will be constructed and supporting documents OR the Fauquier County Deck Detail and two copies of a plan view showing beam and support post locations and sizes, you must also complete the last page of the typical deck packet to submit with ALL deck applications.
- 2 copies of a plat showing the proposed deck with dimensions and with the setbacks from property lines marked.
- Fees. If the walk-thru process is utilized, all fees must be paid at time of submission/walk-through. Otherwise, base fees are paid up front and remainder of fees are paid when permit is issued. See our current Fee Schedule for more specific fee information. Fees are payable by exact cash, credit card or check – starter checks will NOT be accepted. Credit cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard & Discover and will only be accepted in person. A convenience fee of 2.5% will be added to all credit card transactions.
During the construction process periodic inspections are required. See Inspections for more details.
No results found.