Bonding or acceptable performance guarantee is required for all public infrastructure, stormwater management, and erosion and sediment control prior to the release of site plans, construction plans for subdivisions prior to the approval of subdivision plats, and approval of land disturbing permits containing stormwater, unless otherwise exempted by the County. More information about the bonding process and requirements can be found in Chapter 8 of the Fauquier County Design Standards Manual: Performance Guarantee
In the case of major site plans, construction plans, and land disturbing permits containing stormwater, the review and approval of the engineer’s estimate for the cost of these improvements is done with the plan.
In the case of approved projects where a bond or performance guarantee was not submitted or approved by the County as part of the original approval or where a bond/performance guarantee is required by the County in conjunction with the issuance of a Land Disturbing Permit, the following steps are required for County approval:
Step 1: Bond Estimate Review
- Land Development Application with original signatures
- Fee Check: $450 for bond < $300,000; $900 for bond > $300,000
- Bond Estimate Review Spreadsheet (Excel Spreadsheet) based on County’s Unit Price List with engineer's seal and signature
- Digital copy of Bond Estimate Review Spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel format
- Flash drive containing individual PDFs of all submission materials - do not include any financial information (i.e. copy of checks or the fee calculation sheet)
Based upon the review of the Bond Estimate Submission, the County will set the Bond Amount and Land Disturbing Permit Fee.
Step 2: Bond Documentation Review
- Signed original Letter of Credit, Land Developer’s Bond-Site Plan or Land Disturber’s Bond-Subdivision, Land Disturber's E & S Control Bond, as appropriate.
- Land Developer Agreement-Site Plan, Land Developer Agreement Subdivision Plan or Land Disturber’s Agreement as appropriate.
Other Timing/Approval Requirements
- In the case of approved plans where a bond/performance guarantee was not approved, a copy of the approved plan shall be submitted as part of the Bond Estimate Review.
- A Bond Estimate Review application may be submitted with (or anytime after) the second submission of the site plan or construction plan.
- The Bond Estimate Review process may take up to thirty (30) days. Once the review is complete, a letter outlining the required bond amount, setting the land disturbing permit fee and referencing the bond documents needed for final approval, will be sent to the applicant by Development Services Staff.
Bonding for Public Water/Sewer
- Any project that is served by public water and/or sewer must bond water and/or sewer improvements with the service provider directly. Please contact the appropriate service provider to obtain specific information pertaining to their bond program requirements. Confirmation of water and/or sewer improvements being bonded with the service provider must be demonstrated prior to Final Plat approval or release of the Site Plan.