A Family Subdivision may be used to create a new lot for properties that meet the following criteria:
- The property is zoned Rural Agriculture (RA) or Rural Conservation (RC).
- A valid Subdivision Potential Letter shows that division density is available to create a new lot.
- The new family lot will be gifted or sold to an immediate family member of the owner, specifically a grandparent, parent, child, grandchild or sibling.
- All other applicable requirements of the Subdivision and Zoning Ordinances are met.
A complete application must be submitted to Community Development to begin the County review and approval process for all Family Subdivisions.
First Submission Minimum Requirements:
- Land Development Application with original signatures of the Owner and Applicant
- Fee Calculation Sheet Administratively Approved Subdivisions
- Copy of the Subdivision Potential Letter
- Family Subdivision Checklist signed by the Surveyor or Engineer
- Family Subdivision Affidavit signed and notarized by the Grantor(s) and the Grantee(s)
- Deed with signature and notary lines for the Grantor(s) and the Grantee(s)
- Three (3) copies of the Family Subdivision Plat, unsigned for review purposes
- Three (3) copies of complete Health Department Application for Subdivision Review, including OSE-PE Report.
- Flash Drive containing PDF copies of all submission requirements
Additional Information that may be required for approval:
- A Deed of Easement may be required for Non-Common Open Space dedication where Section 2-406 of the Zoning Ordinance applies to the proposed subdivision.
- A Deed of Ingress-Egress Easement may be required where private streets or access easements are proposed.
- Does your application involve using an existing Private Road for access? If so, these additional requirements may apply.
- Verification of Fauquier County Health Department approval for all existing and proposed individual sanitary septic systems. See Sanitary Sewer and Water for required plat notes.
- Entrance review letter or entrance permit from the Virginia Department of Transportation for all existing or proposed access points.
Signature Set submission for Approval:
Once the Family Subdivision Plat and all necessary documentation has been reviewed and deemed ready for approval, the Signature Set Submission must be made to the County. The Signature Set Submission must include:
- Five (5) copies of the Plat with all required original signatures
- One (1) copy of each Deed with all required original signatures
- Flash Drive containing individual PDF copies of all resubmission materials