In addition to our medical and dental benefits, there are several other benefits provided through payroll deductions for employees. Some of them include:
- life insurance
- short term/long term disability
- long term care
Employees are able to enroll in the benefits if they are within the first 30 days of their employment. If you are interested in enrolling into a policy and you are beyond the deadline, you still may be eligible to enroll into specific policies. Employees will need to contact the vendor directly to determine what policies they are eligible for.
Open enrollment is the second opportunity employees have to enroll into voluntary benefits. Open enrollment occurs every year in the spring. This is the one time of year employees have the chance to enroll into any policies. The vendor may require employees to go through a medical review at this time. All questions can be handled directly with the vendor of your choice.
There are two providers that offer these benefits, American Fidelity and AFLAC. If employees are interested in obtaining a voluntary policy, they would contact either of the participating vendors. The representative’s information is listed below:
All full time permanent employees are provided with a life insurance policy as a part of their VRS coverage. If employees are receiving the VRS benefit, they are automatically enrolled into the life insurance policy. The employer pays the cost of this coverage.
- The value of this policy is two-times your annual salary.
- Employees can contact VRS at 888-827-3847. The customer service representative can assist you with determining who you listed as your beneficiary.
- If you would like to change your beneficiary you can complete a new form. The form can be found on VRS’s website www.varetire.org. Employees can also contact the Human Resources department for assistance with the form.
- Employees can elect optional life insurance through Minnesota Life. The forms can be found on VRS’s website www.varetire.org. Please note that you will need to answer medical questions in order to be approved if you are outside your first 30 days of employment.
- Employees can also get life insurance for their spouse and/or children as well through Minnesota Life.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
FSA allows you to set aside pre-tax dollars for certain benefit-related expenses. As a Fauquier County employee, you have two options for savings: Medical Reimbursement or Dependent Day Care Reimbursement.
On your income tax return, employees can only deduct expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. Most people don’t meet that requirement and their expenses go unclaimed. A medical reimbursement account can capture up to $2,500.00 that cannot be claimed on your taxes. This gives employees a tax break by lowering taxable income with the premiums being withheld at a pre-tax cost.
In the past, employees were concerned with the ‘use it or lose it’ policy associated with the medical reimbursement accounts. As of July 2014 employees will be able to roll over funds (up to $500.00) from one plan year to the next. This will have avoid the loss employees may have experienced in the past.
Our vendor for flexible spending accounts is American Fidelity. Employees interested in opening an account have two times: 30 days of their hire date and Open Enrollment.