Coronavirus updates are available on the Emergency Event Information Page.

Residential Homeowner Programs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The John Marshall Soil & Water Conservation District offers programs to assist residential land owners with the conservation of their natural resources.  Check out some of our programs below.


Virginia Conservation Assistance Program (VCAP)

The Virginia Conservation Assistance Program (VCAP) provides financial incentives to non-agricultural landowners (residential, commercial, etc.) for the installation of Best Management Practices.  This program funds the following practices:

All of these practices can be installed on small acreage properties.  For more information, visit The Virginia Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts VCAP Program or contact Kris Jarvis at 540-316-6525.


Yard Care Publication

The John Marshall Soil & Water Conservation District via the Department of Conservation & Recreation offers a publication, 'A Virginian's Year-Round Guide to Yard Care', which is packed with tips and techniques for healthy lawns and gardens.  The free publication is a cooperative effort of the Department of Conservation and Recreation and the Chesapeake Bay Program.  The 24-page booklet contains information on soil testing, erosion control, fertilizing lawns and gardens, irrigation, pest control, and soil improvement.  To obtain a hard-copy of the publication, stop by the John Marshall Soil & Water Conservation District Office at 98 Alexandria Pike, Suite 31 in Warrenton, or call 347-3120 x3.


Green Grass Program

Want to have a healthy and environmentally friendly lawn?

Participate in "Green Grass” - A Healthy Virginia Lawns Program.  Volunteers from Virginia Cooperative Extension will come to your home, evaluate your lawn, pull a soil sample and measure the area of your turf. You will then receive a report with information on how much and when to fertilize and lime your lawn. Summer is a great time to participate as most lawn care happens in the fall.  Apply online for the Green Grass Program from the Extension Office or fill out a printable application.


Rain Barrels

The John Marshall Soil & Water Conservation District no longer offers rain barrels; however, they can be purchased from the Culpeper Soil & Water Conservation District.  They can be reached at 540-825-8591.