Applications will be accepted through April 24, 2019 or until enrollment is full. Applications must be mailed or delivered to:
Fauquier County Sheriff’s Office
C/O Lieutenant Mark L. Jones
Sergeant Steve L. Lewis
78 West Lee Street
Warrenton, VA, 20186
The Fauquier County Sheriff’s Office provides its citizens the opportunity to experience its roles and responsibilities through the first ever Citizens Academy. Participants must have a desire to better understand and learn about the hard work of their Sheriff and his Deputies. Participants will have the opportunity to meet members of the Fauquier County Sheriff’s Office through classroom presentations and first-hand exposure to their duties. Thank you for your interest in the Fauquier County Sheriff’s Office Inaugural Citizens Academy. Participants will learn and experience areas of the agency to include Civil Process/Court Security, Communications (911), Criminal Investigations, Corrections, Patrol Operations, and School Resource (SRO). Demonstrations will include the Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team (SERT), Drones (UAS), Crime Scene Investigators (CSI), Canine Unit (K-9), and much more.
The Citizens Academy is open to all Fauquier County residents. Participants must be over 18 years of age and pass a simple background check. Space in the academy is limited to 20 participants with the expectation all meetings will be attended. The Citizens Academy will be held at the Fauquier County Sheriff’s Office, 78 W. Lee Street, Warrenton, VA 20186 beginning June 4, 2019. The sessions will start with dinner at 5:30 p.m. and conclude at 8:30 p.m. every Tuesday evening. Once Citizens Academy Coordinators receive your application and it is approved, a confirmation letter with additional information will be sent to the email provided on the application no later than May, 24, 2019.
• Applicants must be a current Fauquier County citizen
• Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
• Applicants should plan to attend the entire academy lasting one night a week for 9 weeks
• Applicants must pass a simple background check with no criminal issues.
• Once the academy class of 20 is full, the enrollment process will be closed and all remaining student will be placed on a waiting list for the next academy. If a vacancies occur they will be filled in the order the applications were received.